Shame and Aging – Healing the Shame of Aging in a Society that Worships Youth
A Workshop for Therapists and Helping Professionals
with Bret Lyon, PhD, SEP and Sheila Rubin, LMFT, RDT/BCT
2 Saturdays: December 4 & 11, 2021
Online – Live and recorded, using Zoom
$395 full price / $375 with full payment by October 30 / Special price for interns
13 CE credits available for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs in California* – $40 fee
(See website for details)
We all go through it. No one is immune. And nothing produces more universal shame in our society than aging. Whereas many societies have deep respect for people as they age and see a vital role for elders, our society still worships youth.
In this workshop, we will explore and learn to be more comfortable with our own aging process. And we will explore ways to help clients talk about, explore and heal their own shame around aging. We will:
• Discover ways to help clients become aware of the many messages they received and continue to receive about aging and body image from family and society.
• Learn ways to help clients cope with the shame of not being able to do all that they once did.
• Understand counter-shaming techniques to help ourselves and our clients find pride and joy in the new reality—seeing that there are real gains as well as losses in this new stage of life.
• Work with the shame that can cause and result from sicknesses and injuries.
• Identify challenges in being looked at as unimportant and “not up to par” by a youth-oriented society and the layers of shame that can occur.
• Discover how to make the necessary adjustments so we can regain access to the life force and creativity that we still have in a grounded and embodied way.
• Begin to shift and transform cultural stereotypes about aging by finding a reservoir of vitality, inner vision and clear action for the next phase of life, that may be hidden under shame!
There is no prerequisite for this course.
TO REGISTER, please visit the Schedule page at www.HealingShame.com or use this link:
For more information, call Sheila at 415-820-3974 or email Sheila@HealingShame.com.
For details about our complete training program in Healing Shame, and for free articles and webinars, visit our website.
Bret Lyon and Sheila Rubin are leading authorities on healing shame. They created the Healing Shame – Lyon/Rubin method and are the directors of the Center for Healing Shame, a continuing education provider that offers Healing Shame workshops to therapists and other helping professionals. They have co-led workshops on Healing Shame for over a decade. Both have trained in EFT with Sue Johnson and in AEDP with Diana Fosha.
*The Center for Healing Shame is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs in California – CAMFT-approved CE provider #134393. Courses meet the qualifications for hours of continuing education (CE) credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The Center for Healing Shame maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.