Sex and Shame – A Workshop for Therapists and other Helping Professionals
with Sheila Rubin, LMFT, RDT/BCT and Bret Lyon, PhD, SEP, BCC
Saturday, March 24, 10am-6pm & Sunday, March 25, 10:30am-5:30pm
In Berkeley, just off I-80
$350 full price / $325 with full payment by February 9
Special price for interns
13 CEUs for MFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs in California*
Sexuality is a vital, defining part of our identity. We are at our most vulnerable when we experience sexual feelings—therefore we’re the most prone to feeling shame. We are subject to sexual shaming from early childhood, when we are most vulnerable to moral judgments from family and society—and to boundary violations from family members and those older than us. Entering our teenage years, we long to be attractive to others and try desperately to “be cool” and fit in. As adults, we seek a partner and try to balance the constraints of monogamy with sexual adventure. In our mature years, our ability to function sexually diminishes and our faces and bodies are no longer as we remember them.
In this workshop, we will offer tools you can use to help clients talk about, explore, and heal the sexual shame that can arise at any stage in the life cycle—and help them towards a life-affirming sexuality.
– Discover ways to help clients become aware of the many, often conflicting messages they received about body image and sexuality from family and society.
– Learn ways to help clients repair the disconnect between self and others—and between parts of the self—that have been created by shaming, inappropriate behavior, or abuse.
– Understand counter-shaming techniques and develop tools for couples to understand their shame triggers and communicate about taboo sexual topics.
– Work with the shame that can cause and result from affairs.
– Identify challenges in being a sexual minority in society and the layers of shame that can occur.
– Unfreeze shame and open life force in a grounded and embodied way, helping clients to access and safely explore their sexual energy.
TO REGISTER, visit the Schedule page at www.CenterforHealingShame.com.
Space is limited.
For more information, call Sheila at 415-820-3974 or email Sheila@HealingShame.com.
For details about our complete training program in Healing Shame, as well as articles and free webinars, visit our website.
*The Center for Healing Shame is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for MFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs in California (CAMFT CE provider #134393). PhDs and licensed therapists outside of California may receive CEUs through Cassidy Seminars. The Center for Healing Shame maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.